31 January 2018

FoG (N) of War


Yeah, I know, I know. We rag on Napoleonics quite a lot on Behind Enemy Lines. The set-up times, the labourious nature of the games, forming squares and all that...

In all honesty though, I think the Napoleonic period in terms of historical tabletop wargames looks is possibly only rivalled by an Ancients game for sheer beauty. In WWII gaming, you're really limited (mostly) to greens and browns and greys and dunkelgelbs. Other periods aren't much better, Moderns, Vietnam, all the rest of them are just variations on the same.

The pageantry and vividness of colour on display in a well-painted Napoleonic force is outstanding....

I managed to get my first game of FoG (N) under my belt on the weekend just gone. I played a Russian force pitted against Andy's British in a learning game to understand the rules and come to grips with how it all works before I decide if I'm going to dip my oar into another period.

FoG (N) is a great rule set, which really challenges you on a grand strategy basis. You really need to formulate your plan of attack and then execute, not knowing quite exactly where the terrain is going to be, or what kind of stature (defensive or attacking) your opponent is going to bring. In that way, it really is a unique wargaming experience.

FoG (N) really relies upon the quality and training of your troops, be they Drilled, Conscript, Reformed, Unreformed, and each has their own way of operation on the battlefield. Coming to grips with that is part of the learning. It is pretty unwise to send a bunch of Conscript Hanoverian into the fray against Guard Cavalry...they tend to come off second best.

I think I lost the battle this time, but I really am looking forward to some more games here.

Massive thanks to Andy for walking me through this and also to his lovely wife Maria for feeding me on the night. Wargaming and dinner, what could be better?!

And now, the beauty....





Russian lines formed to advance...







Russian cavalry prepares to reinforce the infantry.







The British are disordered from the Russian artillery fire...









The British cavalry are repulsed...












The British lines now advance toward the Russian batteries...



While the Russian centre begins to falter...






I missed taking more photos after this but because my centre had failed, I lost the day. I did have some infantry moving toward the British town at the rear, routing the British line in the process. Had they made it to town and routed the troops there, I reckon I could have won.

So there you have it, we don't just play 40k...and Flames of War...and Bolt Action...

No comments:

Post a Comment