24 May 2017

In Memoriam - Martin Bond


Martin was a great friend and literally the first friend of podcast. I regularly enjoyed his questions for the crew, his banter over Damian's drybrushing, and the epic Age of Sigmar rants we shared offline. He was a genuine soul, taking time to share is hobby with friends and readers through his prolific and exceptional blog, The Garage Gamers .

He cared so much for the hobby that he reached out and introduced himself across the hobby from Games Workshop to indie start up designers. We regularly talked, with him in the UK and me in NZ, we always had morning chats and evening meetups about all sorts of gaming, from X-Wing to Vietnam. I’ll never forget his love of such a diverse set of games.

But perhaps the most lasting impression he has had on me was how he shared his love of gaming with his daughter, Olivia. The two had amazing and genuine adventures together as only a father and child could have. He and Olivia have given me such an amazing example to help me to connect with my own son. He was a great man and an inspiring one. He will be greatly missed.

In honor of Martin's unequalled love of Star Trek: The Next Generation, I'll close with the final words of Lt. Tasha Yar:


"Death is that state in which one exists only in the memory of others. Which is why it is not an end. No goodbyes. Just good memories. Hailing frequencies closed, sir."



- with Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment