29 March 2019

Over There!

- with Mike


When volunteers were called to cover the Great War on Behind Enemy Lines, I wanted to do the Americans. I’ve got several family connections with World War I. Two of my great-grandfathers fought in the war, one in the 123rd Field Artillery (155mm guns, often seen supporting the Big Red One Division) and the other in the ambulance corps. I also had a great-great uncle who died as a Marine in the bloody Battle of Belleau Wood. So when I saw the new Great War book from Battlefront, I was very pleased to see the expanded US forces included.

The book includes the the USMC, fresh off the heels of the fighting at Belleau Wood. They are fearless, well trained, and experienced. You also have the Big Red One, 1st Division, which also had battlefield experience by late 1918. You can also combine a USMC formation with a 1st Infantry formation to field the 2nd Division, which was unusual in the fact that it had both an US Army half and a US Marine half. There is also the freshly arrived and eager 42nd Division, which was commanded by General Douglas MacArthur. Together these formations present an excellent cross-section of the US forces in France.

I managed to score a copy of the new Brett's Brawlers army box, giving me an excellent start on a US Army. It's got 2 infantry platoons loaded up with flame-throwers, infantry guns, light machine-guns, VB grenade launchers and riflemen. On top of these virtual mini-armies, you also get a platoon of heavy machine-guns, a sniper, a pair of 76mm trench mortars, a 75mm field gun, two FT-17 light tanks and one Char Saint Chamond tank.
This is an excellent start! I've got some spare FT-17's that I'll add into the mix to bring the light tanks up to full strength. Other than that, that's my painting schedule sorted!
Now to get to work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment