04 April 2016

PTO Terrain: Shrine

with Mike

I've been on the hunt for a small Buddha statute to make into a jungle statue for my Vietnam terrain, but I've had little luck. However, I saw a little shrine in the aquarium section at the local pet shop and grabbed it for $10.

With my Pacific terrain project starting up in force, I've brought this out for some finishing. While shrines like these may not have been seen on the island hopping, they were certainly in southeast Asia where the Japanese empire clashed with British commonwealth forces. So, it'll certainly see use at some point!

This is how the piece came straight from the pet shop:


I decided that at this point I'm not going to spend any time on the structure itself as I thought it's pretty much tabletop ready. I might give it a touch up at some point in the future, but I'm more interested in getting terrain pieces done for some PTO games, rather than getting mired down in the details. Once I have a solid collection I'll think about upping the realism a bit more.

Anyway, the base certainly needs some attention, so I stripped out the plastic plants and repainted the thing dark brown. Then, using my earlier jungle terrain tutorial, I added some of the plastic foliage pieces and flocked the base with green static grass and some dark green and red meadow flock.


Boom, sorted.


Maybe one day I'll get a little ambitious:


Thanks for reading! Let us know what terrain projects you've got on the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment